Making a complaint

You can make a complaint by contacting our Supporter Helpdesk:

  • By email at

  • By letter to Business Support Manager, Shelter Scotland, 6 South Charlotte Street, Edinburgh, EH2 4AW

Shelter Scotland service complaints

To make a service complaint you'll need to provide this information:

  • name of the Shelter Scotland service that the complaint relates to

  • your full name and address

  • a contact telephone number and/or email address in case we need more information

  • full details of the complaint

Your complaint will be acknowledged by a Service Manager or appropriate Deputy within 5 working days of us getting it.

They'll carry out a full investigation and respond fully within 21 calendar days via your preferred method of contact.

Fundraising complaints

Fundraising complaints will be acknowledged within 5 working days of us getting it. We'll carry out a full investigation (provided the complaint is made to us within three months of the incident). We'll respond fully within 10 working days via your preferred method of contact.

Shelter Scotland will:

  • ensure that staff engaged in or supporting our fundraising understand the Fundraising Regulator standards and our complaints procedure

  • try to resolve complaints as promptly and amicably as possible

  • maintain a record of all complaints and the correspondence related to them

  • acknowledge membership of the Fundraising Regulator standards in our Annual Report

  • complete and file an annual return with the Fundraising Regulator about the number and nature of complaints received, and the extent to which we were able to amicably resolve them

  • provide copies of our fundraising materials to the Fundraising Regulator if needed

  • promptly provide details about complaints we've received and how we've dealt with them, when asked by the Fundraising Regulator

  • co-operate fully with the Fundraising Regulator if a complaint is referred to them and comply with any sanction they impose

If you're dissatisfied with the outcome of your complaint, you can refer it to the Scottish Fundraising Standards Panel.