Skip to main content

Support for asylum seekers

If you are seeking asylum in the United Kingdom then you will not be allowed to earn money by working. Instead you should be given support and accommodation by the UK government. The kind of support that is available to you will depend upon when you made your claim for asylum and the details of your case.

Claiming asylum

When you claim asylum in the United Kingdom you may be able to get support and accommodation from the UK Border Agency. The UK Border Agency is the department that oversees the asylum application process and provides money and accommodation to asylum seekers who can't afford to support themselves and their families. 

I am disabled or have a care need

If you or a member of your family are unwell, disabled, mentally ill or elderly then your council might provide you with accommodation and any support you require to meet your care needs. For more information see the section on support from the council.

I am under 18 and without my parents

If you're under the age of 18 and you arrived in the United Kingdom without a parent or guardian then the council will have a duty to provide you with support and accommodation. For more information see the section on unaccompanied asylum-seeking children.

My claim for asylum has been refused

If you have made a claim for asylum in the UK but you've been told that your claim has failed and you can't, or don't want to, make an appeal against that decision then you may be able to receive something known as section four support. Section four support includes accommodation and food and is often given to failed asylum seekers who are unable to travel back to their home country.

Need help?

Claiming asylum in the UK can be a complicated and confusing business. If you're still not sure what your rights are, or if you need more support, you should get in touch with a specialised adviser who can help you. You should contact the Scottish Refugee Council on 0800 085 6087. This organisation deals specifically with asylum seekers and refugees and will be able to give you in-depth advice on accessing support.

The page of useful links for asylum seekers lists other agencies who may be able to help you.

Scotland map Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.
This content applies to Scotland only.
Get advice if you're England

If you're still looking for help, try searching, or find out how to contact us

Was this page helpful?

This feedback tool can't offer advice. If you still need help, please call our free housing helpline on 0808 800 4444

Would you recommend Shelter Scotland's website to a friend, colleague or family member?
(0 - not at all likely, 10 - extremely likely)

Your feedback is being submitted

Success! Thank you for your feedback.

If you'd like to hear more about our work at Shelter Scotland, you can sign up to receive updates on our campaigns page.

Sorry, there was a problem sending your feedback to us. Please try again or contact us via the website if this error persists.

The fight isn't over - support us this summer

far from fixed campaign logo
It’s a disgrace that people are still homeless in Scotland today. Join our campaign
It’s a disgrace that people are still homeless in Scotland today.
Find out more about volunteering with Shelter Scotland
Volunteer with Shelter Scotland
Have you had a bad housing experience? Tell us about your story.
Share your story of a bad housing experience