Skip to main content

Asylum seekers and racial harassment

If you are experiencing racial harassment then there are steps and action you can take to protect yourself and your family.

What is racial harassment?

If you are the victim of verbal or physical abuse and you think that it may be because of your race or the fact that you are an asylum seeker then you should take action immediately. You don't have to accept racial harassment of any kind. You can find out more information in the section on racial harassment.

What can I do about racial harassment?

If you fear for your own safety or for the safety of your family then you should contact the police straight away by calling 999 and explaining what has happened. If it's not an emergency then you should phone or visit your local police station.

You should also tell the UK Border Agency or the organisation that provides your accommodation about the harassment as soon as you can.

Informing your accommodation provider

Your accommodation provider is the organisation that owns your home. If you are not sure who provides your accommodation then you should check the occupancy agreement that you signed when you moved into your home. If you need information or help then contact the Scottish Refugee Council or Positive Action in Housing.

If your accommodation provider is worried about your immediate safety then it should provide you and your family with safe, temporary accommodation immediately. The UK Border Agency should then carry out an investigation into the matter and decide whether or not it is necessary to rehouse you permanently.

If there is no way you will be able to return safely to your home, the UK Border Agency should find different permanent accommodation for you and your family. Your and your family's opinion should be taken into account at all stages of the decision-making and you won't be made to move home if you don't want to.

Can I complain if I'm not happy with the decision?

If you are unhappy about the way your problem is handled then you should consider making a complaint either to the UK Border Agency or to your accommodation provider. For help making a complaint you should get in touch with a charitable organisation such as the Scottish Refugee Council or Positive Action in Housing.

Where can I get extra support?

If you would like help dealing with the effect the harassment has had on you and/or your family, you can contact Victim Support Scotland. Victim Support is an organisation that offers counselling, advice and support to the victims of crime.

Scotland map Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.
This content applies to Scotland only.
Get advice if you're England

If you're still looking for help, try searching, or find out how to contact us

Was this page helpful?

This feedback tool can't offer advice. If you still need help, please call our free housing helpline on 0808 800 4444

Would you recommend Shelter Scotland's website to a friend, colleague or family member?
(0 - not at all likely, 10 - extremely likely)

Your feedback is being submitted

Success! Thank you for your feedback.

If you'd like to hear more about our work at Shelter Scotland, you can sign up to receive updates on our campaigns page.

Sorry, there was a problem sending your feedback to us. Please try again or contact us via the website if this error persists.

The fight isn't over - support us this summer

far from fixed campaign logo
It’s a disgrace that people are still homeless in Scotland today. Join our campaign
It’s a disgrace that people are still homeless in Scotland today.
Find out more about volunteering with Shelter Scotland
Volunteer with Shelter Scotland
Have you had a bad housing experience? Tell us about your story.
Share your story of a bad housing experience