Skip to main content

Telling the UK Border Agency about change of circumstances

It is important that you tell the UK Border Agency about any major events or changes that happen in your life or the life of anyone else in your family.

Telling the UK Border Agency about changes

It is essential that the UK Border Agency has up-to-date information about you. Any changes in your circumstances may affect the support you receive and the way in which the UK Border Agency provides it. Therefore it is your legal duty to tell the UK Border Agency about any major changes in your or your family's situation.

What changes do I have to tell the UK Border Agency about?

You have to tell the UK Border Agency as soon as possible if you or a member of your family:

  • get married, divorced, separated or start to live with someone as if married to that person
  • leave school
  • become pregnant or have a child
  • change your name
  • move to a different address
  • go to hospital or prison
  • leave the UK.

You also have to inform the UK Border Agency if you get access to any money or property that you have not already told them about, for example, if a charity gives you some money.

Contacting the UK Border Agency

You must contact the UK Border Agency directly with this information. If you are worried about contacting the UK Border Agency, you can ask the Scottish Refugee Council for assistance.

What will happen if I don't tell the UK Border Agency about these changes?

If you don't inform the UK Border Agency of changes in your situation, it may stop your support, and you could be charged with a criminal offence. You may also have to pay back some or all of the support that you have received from the Agency.

The UK Border Agency are stopping my support

If the UK Border Agency tells you that it is going to stop your support then you should get in touch with the Scottish Refugee Council or your solicitor straight away. For more information see the page on withdrawal of support.

Scotland map Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.
This content applies to Scotland only.
Get advice if you're England

If you're still looking for help, try searching, or find out how to contact us

Was this page helpful?

This feedback tool can't offer advice. If you still need help, please call our free housing helpline on 0808 800 4444

Would you recommend Shelter Scotland's website to a friend, colleague or family member?
(0 - not at all likely, 10 - extremely likely)

Your feedback is being submitted

Success! Thank you for your feedback.

If you'd like to hear more about our work at Shelter Scotland, you can sign up to receive updates on our campaigns page.

Sorry, there was a problem sending your feedback to us. Please try again or contact us via the website if this error persists.

The fight isn't over - support us this summer

far from fixed campaign logo
It’s a disgrace that people are still homeless in Scotland today. Join our campaign
It’s a disgrace that people are still homeless in Scotland today.
Find out more about volunteering with Shelter Scotland
Volunteer with Shelter Scotland
Have you had a bad housing experience? Tell us about your story.
Share your story of a bad housing experience