Skip to main content

View our coronavirus (COVID-19) housing advice

Income support

Income support is intended to ensure that no-one's income is below a certain minimum amount. This page explains who is eligible to apply for income support.

Can I apply for income support?

You may be able to claim income support if:

  • you are 16 or over, and
  • you are on a low income, and
  • you work for less than 16 hours a week.

You must also be:

  • a lone parent (child under 5), or
  • sick or disabled, or
  • a carer.

You may also be eligible if:

  • you're off work because you're ill and your statutory sick pay is less than the amount of income support you'd be entitled to
  • you or your partner are on parental leave or paternity leave.

You will not be eligible if:

  • you have savings over £16,000
  • you receive Jobseeker's allowance or Employment support allowance
  • your partner works, on average, 24 or more hours a week.

In addition, certain restrictions apply.

  • Single people under the age of 25, who are not responsible for any children, may be entitled to less income support than those over 25.
  • If you have savings over £6,000 this will usually affect the amount of income support you get.
  • If your partner works less than 24 hours a week, their earnings will affect the amount of income support you get.

Income support and studying

If you are a full-time student you may be able to get income support if you are:

  • a single parent
  • sick or disabled
  • registered blind

If you are still at school you may be able to get income support if you are:

  • not living with your parents or being supported by them
  • looking after your own child
  • unable to work because of a severe disability.

Finding out more about income support

To find out more and download a claim form, visit income support from Gov UK or call the Jobcentre Plus telephone line on 0800 0 55 66 88 or textphone 0800 0 23 48 88 (this is a service for hearing impaired people, and doesn't accept texts).

I'm not eligible for income support

If you are not eligible for income support you may be able to apply for the following benefits:

Scotland map Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.
This content applies to Scotland only.
Get advice if you're in England

If you're still looking for help, try searching, or find out how to contact us