Skip to main content

View our coronavirus (COVID-19) housing advice

Taking in a lodger or subletting your home

If you have a spare room, you may be considering taking in a lodger or subtenant to help you pay your rent otherwise known as finding a roommate. The UK government has also made available the rent a room scheme which lets you earn up to £7500 a year tax free for renting out your room. Alternatively you may want to rent the whole of the property to someone else and move out. This section explains how to go about this and what the rights of your tenant will be.

Scotland map Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.
This content applies to Scotland only.
Get advice if you're in England

If you're still looking for help, try searching, or find out how to contact us