Skip to main content

View our coronavirus (COVID-19) housing advice

Scottish Building Regulations and Planning Permission

If you are carrying out repairs or improvements to your home, you may need to get a building warrant and/or planning permission before you can start work. Even if you believe that the kind of work you are doing does not require permission, it's best to check with the council's building standards department and planning authority. Carrying out work without the relevant permits is an offence and you may be fined.

Scotland map Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.
This content applies to Scotland only.
Get advice if you're in England

If you're still looking for help, try searching, or find out how to contact us