Skip to main content

What are compulsory purchase orders?

You might find the Scottish Government's compulsory purchase and compensation guide useful - it's for owners, tenants and occupiers.

In some situations, the council, the Scottish Government or a utility company may need to buy your home from you, in order to build a road, for example, or a public building such as a school, or because the property you live in is dangerous and needs to be demolished. In order to do this, they must get a compulsory purchase order (CPO). This section explains what CPOs are and how they work, and what you can do if your home is subject to a CPO.

Although CPOs can be used by a variety of different agencies, this section uses the example of the council. However, all public authorities must go through a similar procedure.

Scotland map Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.
This content applies to Scotland only.
Get advice if you're England

If you're still looking for help, try searching, or find out how to contact us

Was this page helpful?

This feedback tool can't offer advice. If you still need help, please call our free housing helpline on 0808 800 4444

Would you recommend Shelter Scotland's website to a friend, colleague or family member?
(0 - not at all likely, 10 - extremely likely)

Your feedback is being submitted

Success! Thank you for your feedback.

If you'd like to hear more about our work at Shelter Scotland, you can sign up to receive updates on our campaigns page.

Sorry, there was a problem sending your feedback to us. Please try again or contact us via the website if this error persists.

The fight isn't over - support us this summer

far from fixed campaign logo
It’s a disgrace that people are still homeless in Scotland today. Join our campaign
It’s a disgrace that people are still homeless in Scotland today.
Find out more about volunteering with Shelter Scotland
Volunteer with Shelter Scotland
Have you had a bad housing experience? Tell us about your story.
Share your story of a bad housing experience