Skip to main content

View our coronavirus (COVID-19) housing advice

Template letters

Download letter templates or fill in online forms to create letters automatically. These templates and forms will help you get started writing to the council, your landlord or your mortgage lender.

If you need any help writing to the council, your landlord or your mortgage lender, talk to a Shelter Scotland housing adviser or Citizens Advice Bureau. 

Homeless application

I'm homeless letter

Generate a letter to take with you when you go to the council to make a homeless application.

Claiming housing benefit

Changing your circumstances

Tell the housing or council tax department about any changes in your circumstances for housing benefit or council tax reduction.

Requesting a payment on account

If 14 days have passed since your housing benefit/local housing allowance claim, which was submitted with all the required information, and the claim is yet to be processed you can get a payment on account. Payments on account should be automatic, but if it is not, send this letter.

Requesting an explanation for a housing benefit decision

When a decision has been made by the housing benefit team about your claim, they will write to you. If there's anything you don't understand, you can ask the housing benefit team to to explain in writing. Their written explanation is called a 'statement of reasons'.

Requesting backdated housing benefit

If you need your housing benefit backdated, you will need to say this in your housing benefit claim form. You must include a document and evidence which states why you could not have claimed housing benefit earlier.

Requesting housing benefit for two homes

There are circumstances when housing benefit can be paid for more than one home. Payments for two homes are not given automatically, so you need to write to your housing benefit department and ask.

Deposit letters

Request tenancy deposit registration details

Write to your landlord to ask for your tenancy deposit registration information. Your deposit must be registered with a tenancy deposit scheme within 30 working days of your tenancy starting.

Letter requesting the return of your deposit

This tool will allow you to generate a letter to send to your landlord asking them to return your deposit.

Getting repairs done

Asking for repairs to be done

If your rented home needs repairs carried out, it's always best to report the problem to your landlord in writing. If the problem is urgent, you may wish to phone them as well.

Complaining about repair work not done

If your landlord does not carry out the repairs, use this letter to write to them again, explaining that if repairs are not carried out within a certain time frame, you will take further action.

Doing repairs yourself 1

This letter about repairs to your rented property explains to your landlord that you are going to do the work yourself unless the repairs are done within a reasonable time.

Doing repairs yourself 2

Next you need to send your landlord this third letter, including three quotes for the work, explaining that you will go ahead with the cheapest quote unless your landlord arranges for the repairs to be done within a certain time.

Doing repairs yourself 3

You'll need to pay for the work yourself and send your landlord the receipt - use letter 3 for this after you've got the repairs done.

Doing repairs yourself 4

If your landlord does not give you back the money, send letter 4 to explain that you are going to deduct the money from your future rent.

Letter to send before contacting the Housing and Property Chamber of the First Tier Tribunal

Use this letter to notify your landlord that you are about to contact the Housing and Property Chamber of the First Tier Tribunal about a disrepair issue. Your landlord may then deal with the issue to prevent the matter going further.

Warning your landlord that you're contacting the council

If the state of your home is affecting your health, the environmental health department of your local council may be able to help you take action. Before contacting them, write to your landlord to let them know - this may spur them into action.

Mortgage arrears

Letter to send to your mortgage lender

If you are having difficulties paying your mortgage, you should contact your lender at the earliest possible opportunity to arrange an appointment to discuss the situation with them. If you don't want to phone or can't get through to the right person, use this letter to write to your lender instead. You can also create a letter online (see below).

Scotland map Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.
This content applies to Scotland only.
Get advice if you're in England

If you're still looking for help, try searching, or find out how to contact us