If you need some extra support, you could think about going to see a trained counsellor. This page explains what counselling is and how it can help you.

Need some extra support?

Even if you manage to find a 'solution' to your problem, you might find it hard to cope with what's happened to you. Whatever situation you're in, if you've gone through some big changes in your life (such as moving house, splitting up from your partner or losing your home), you could be left feeling that you need some extra support. Remember that it's okay to feel down in the dumps or a bit lost and there's nothing wrong with seeking a bit of extra help to get through a tough time.

How can counselling help me?

Counsellors use a variety of different approaches to help people to understand themselves better, to work their own problems out and to help them address the things that make them feel upset and unhappy. Counsellors usually just listen really well to what you have to say and they won't judge you. They don't usually give advice either. Counsellors offer a confidential service, although there may be times when they need to contact someone else, for example, if you are in danger. However, they will speak to you before doing this.

How do I get a counsellor?

Your GP might be able to refer you to an NHS counsellor (depending on what services are available in your area) or you can pay for one privately, although that can be expensive. In addition, many voluntary organisations also provide counselling for free, or charge on a sliding scale, depending on your income.

Where can I find out more?

COSCA is the professional body for counselling and psychotherapy in Scotland. For more information on counselling, plus a list of accredited counsellors, have a look at the COSCA Counsellors directory.

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

Last updated: 31 October 2014

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England