Legal representation

If you've got a housing problem and you need advice on your legal rights, you may need to see a lawyer. If your case is going to court, you'll probably need a lawyer to represent you. This section explains what you can do yourself, why you might need a lawyer, how you can find one and what different kinds of lawyers do.

If you need legal advice urgently, don't panic. You should be able to get legal representation at short notice, either from a law centre or from a duty solicitor in your local sheriff court. Some of the larger sheriff courts have in-court advice projects.

If you receive official papers telling you that you have to go to court in a hurry, don't just ignore them - this could make the problem worse. Don't pretend that you didn't receive the papers either because that won't work in most cases. If you're in this situation, get further advice immediately.

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

Representing yourself

If you're thinking about speaking for yourself in court, check here to know if it's possible and get some practical tips. It might be possible for someone other than a lawyer to do this.


Solicitors can give you detailed advice on your rights and can also represent you in court. This page explains how to get a solicitor and how they can help you.

Law centres

You might be able to get legal advice and representation from a solicitor in a law centre. There are a number of law centres in Scotland. This page explains more.

In-court advice services

Some larger sheriff courts provide in-court advice services. This page explains what they are, how they can help and where to find them.

Solicitor-advocates and Advocates

If your case is complicated and goes to a higher court, you will need a solicitor-advocate or an Advocate to represent you. This page explains more.

Last updated: 29 December 2014

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England