In-court advice services

Some larger sheriff courts provide in-court advice services. This page explains what they are, how they can help and where to find them.

What's an in-court advice service?

It's a service in some sheriff courts that provides free legal and other advice on a range of civil law issues, including housing problems.

How can they help me?

Here are some examples of dilemmas related to your housing problems that in-court advice services can help you with:

  • small claims cases

  • eviction cases

  • rent arrears

  • debt problems.

Advisers will be able to represent you in court if need be although they will only be able to represent you at certain stages of your case unless they are legally qualified. Some services will be able to get a solicitor to represent you if that is necessary.

Is there a service in my area?

Contact your local sheriff court, or your local Citizen's Advice Bureaux, to see if any in-court help is available your area. Have a look at the Citizens Advice Scotland website to find an office near you or get in touch with your local sheriff court to see what's available in your area.


If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

Last updated: 29 December 2014

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England