Domestic abuse and violence

You should always feel safe in your home. If someone makes you feel unsafe you may be experiencing domestic abuse.

Find out where to go if you need to leave your home and find out how to make an abusive person leave.

Get help with domestic abuse

You can speak to the National Domestic Abuse Helpline at any time on 0800 027 1234.

They have a web chat option if you don't want to speak on the phone.

If you are threatened or attacked, call 999 and ask for the police.

Domestic abuse - get help in an emergency

Where to get help if you need to leave your home because of domestic abuse. Refuges and councils can give you somewhere safe to stay.

Domestic abuse - staying in your home

Learn how to make someone who is abusing you leave and restrict them from coming back. If you don’t have a legal right to stay in your home, find out how you can get it.

Domestic abuse - going to court

The police and the courts can stop your partner from coming near you or entering your home. Find out how they can protect you.

What is domestic abuse?

Learn the definition of domestic abuse and domestic violence.

Get help and support with domestic abuse

You do not have to make decisions alone. Find organisations who help and support people experiencing domestic abuse.

Last updated: 28 June 2021

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England

Get homeless help from the council

The council must help if you are homeless or likely to become homeless in the next two months.

Get emergency help from the council