Other template letters

Download templates to create letters. These templates will help you get started writing to the council, your landlord or your mortgage lender.

If you need any help writing to the council, your landlord or your mortgage lender

talk to a Shelter Scotland housing adviser or Citizens Advice Bureau. 

Homeless application

I'm homeless

Download a letter to take with you when you go to the council to make a homeless application.

Claiming housing benefit

Change in circumstances

Tell the housing or council tax department about any changes in your circumstances for housing benefit or council tax reduction.

Request explanation of a housing benefit decision

When a decision has been made by the housing benefit team about your claim, they will write to you. If there's anything you don't understand, you can ask the housing benefit team to to explain in writing. Their written explanation is called a 'statement of reasons'.

Request housing benefit for two homes

There are circumstances when housing benefit can be paid for more than one home. Payments for two homes are not given automatically, so you need to write to your housing benefit department and ask.

Universal credit for housing costs

Most changes in circumstances and other queries need to be reported in your journal. See the page Universal credit for more information.

Unlawful fees and 'premiums'

If you've been charged an unlawful fee or premium by your landlord or letting agent use these letters to request the money back.

Tenancy deposits

Request tenancy deposit registration details

Write to your landlord to ask for your tenancy deposit registration information. Your deposit must be registered with a tenancy deposit scheme within 30 working days of your tenancy starting.


Ask for repairs to be done

If your rented home needs repairs carried out, it's always best to report the problem to your landlord in writing. If the problem is urgent, you may wish to phone them as well.

Complain about repair work not done

If your landlord does not carry out the repairs, use this letter to write to them again, explaining that if repairs are not carried out within a certain time frame, you will take further action.

Doing repairs yourself 1

This letter about repairs to your rented property explains to your landlord that you are going to do the work yourself unless the repairs are done within a reasonable time.

Doing repairs yourself 2

Next you need to send your landlord this second letter, including three quotes for the work, explaining that you will go ahead with the cheapest quote unless your landlord arranges for the repairs to be done within a certain time.

Doing repairs yourself 3

You'll need to pay for the work yourself and send your landlord the receipt - use letter 3 for this after you've got the repairs done.

Doing repairs yourself 4

If your landlord does not give you back the money, send letter 4 to explain that you are going to deduct the money from your future rent.

Before contacting the First Tier Tribunal Housing and Property Chamber

Use this letter to tell your landlord that you are about to contact the First Tier Tribunal Housing and Property Chamber about a disrepair issue. Your landlord might decide to deal with the issue to prevent the matter going further.

Warn your landlord that you're contacting the council

If the state of your home is affecting your health, the environmental health department of your local council may be able to help you take action. Before contacting them, write to your landlord to let them know - this may spur them into action.

Mortgage arrears

Letter to send to your mortgage lender

If you are having difficulties paying your mortgage, you should contact your lender at the earliest possible opportunity to arrange an appointment to discuss the situation with them. If you don't want to phone or can't get through to the right person, use this letter to write to your lender instead. You can also create a letter online (see below).

Last updated: 9 October 2020

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England