Being evicted from social rented housing

Social rented housing is housing provided by councils, housing associations and housing co-ops.

They have to follow legal procedures to evict tenants. This section explains these procedures and what you may be able to do to prevent the eviction.

The advice on these pages is for social tenancies. In some cases, you can have a private tenancy with a social housing provider. This is known as mid-market renting. Check your tenancy type if you are not sure.

If you need help because you are being evicted, have nowhere to go, or sheriff officers have come to your door contact an adviser at Shelter Scotland.

Being evicted from a Scottish secure tenancy

Eviction of council, housing association and housing co-op tenants.

Grounds or reasons for eviction from social rented housing

If your landlord wants to evict you, they have to provide a reason or ground. This page explains the grounds that can be used by social landlords.

Eviction of short Scottish secure tenants

This page explains the eviction process if you have a short Scottish secure tenancy. These are fixed-term social tenancies that are only offered if you have had difficulty maintaining a tenancy in the past or you are in temporary accommodation.

Abandoning a tenancy

Your landlord can end your tenancy if you don't tell them you are not occupying it. Abandonment procedures can only be used in very specific circumstances. Find out what you can do.

Last updated: 27 September 2021

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England

Get homeless help from the council

The council must help if you are homeless or likely to become homeless in the next two months.

Get emergency help from the council