Eviction from registered social landlord property

Housing associations and housing co-ops have to follow specific legal procedures to evict tenants. This is the same eviction procedure that councils must follow. There are different eviction procedures for some housing associations that are run as private businesses. Check with your landlord and get advice if you're not sure what kind of tenancy you have.

Tenants of registered social landlords

If you rent from a housing association or housing co-operative that is registered with the Scottish Housing Regulator, you will have the same rights as someone who is renting from the council. These landlords are called registered social landlords (RSLs). Go to the section on eviction from council accommodation to find out how the eviction process works for registered social landlords' tenants.

Tenants of private sector housing associations

Some housing associations are run as businesses, and are not registered with the Scottish Housing Regulator (SHR). In this case, your landlord will need to follow the eviction procedures for a private tenancy. The Scottish Federation of Housing Associations (SFHA) has a list of registered housing associations. If your housing association is not on the SFHA's list of registered housing associations, it will probably be a private sector housing association.

Getting advice to prevent eviction

If your landlord wants to evict you, you should get advice immediately. The eviction process usually takes a few months, and whatever stage of the process you're at, it's always worth getting advice. An adviser may be able to help get the eviction stopped or delayed. If this is not possible they may be able to help you to start finding new accommodation.

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

Last updated: 9 April 2018

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England

Get homeless help from the council

The council must help if you are homeless or likely to become homeless in the next two months.

Apply to the council as homeless