Going to court if you’re being evicted by your council or housing association

You can only be evicted if your landlord gets a court order at an eviction hearing. You could stop the eviction by speaking in court. Get a solicitor or another trusted person to help you.

Find a solicitor from the Law Society of Scotland.

You could get legal help for free or at a lower cost.

If you’re sent court papers for an eviction hearing

Getting help at court if you’re being evicted

About the sheriff court

What happens at an eviction hearing

Challenging an eviction order

Last updated: 3 March 2022

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England

Get homeless help from the council

The council must help if you are homeless or likely to become homeless in the next two months.

Get emergency help from the council