Support for asylum seekers

If you are seeking asylum in the United Kingdom then you will not be allowed to earn money by working. Instead you should be given support and accommodation by the UK government. The kind of support that is available to you will depend upon when you made your claim for asylum and the details of your case.

Finding a home if you are an asylum seeker

When you claim asylum in the United Kingdom you may be able to get support and accommodation from the UK Border Agency. The UK Border Agency is the department that oversees the asylum application process and provides money and accommodation to asylum seekers who can't afford to support themselves and their families.

Claiming asylum in the UK can be a complicated and confusing business. If you're still not sure what your rights are, or if you need more support, you should get in touch with a specialised adviser who can help you. You should contact the Scottish Refugee Council on 0800 085 6087. This organisation deals specifically with asylum seekers and refugees and will be able to give you in-depth advice on accessing support.

The page of useful links for asylum seekers lists other agencies who may be able to help you.

I'm a refugee and homeless

If you are homeless and a refugee or have been granted humanitarian protection then you can ask your council for help.

The council will carry out a homelessness assessment which will look into why you are homeless or threatened with homelessness.

When a council is carrying out a homelessness assessment they will offer you temporary accommodation.

Refugees and renting privately

As a refugees you can rent a home in the private sector in the same way as anyone else.  

Some charities run schemes to help homeless people find a private tenancy or a room in a shared house. Search for a scheme in your area using the Help to Rent database run by Crisis.

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

Last updated: 29 January 2020

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England