Shared Equity schemes

The two Shared Equity Schemes were set up by the Scottish Government to give financial help to people who cannot afford the full purchase price of a home. Like shared ownership, the scheme allows you to buy a stake in a property, which can be either be built by a housing association or bought on the open market. However, you don't have to pay any form of rent for the part you don't own.

While these schemes are primarily aimed at first time buyers on low incomes, it can also help others who need to move. This can include disabled people or people with particular needs, people whose homes are going to be demolished or those needing to move following a significant change in household circumstances.

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

New Supply Shared Equity scheme

This page explains how the New Supply Shared Equity scheme works, who is eligible to apply and what to do if you're interested in making an application.

Paying for a New Supply Shared Equity property

You'll probably need a mortgage and a solicitor if you want to buy a share in a New Supply Shared Equity property. This page explains the buying process.

Open Market Shared Equity scheme

The Open Market Shared Equity scheme helps people in Scotland on low incomes buy a home on the open market.

Last updated: 29 December 2014

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England