Skip to main content
Shelter Logo

Getting a Community Care Grant

You can apply for a Community Care Grant if you’re on a low income and need extra money to live independently. You do not need to pay the money back.

You’re eligible if you’re 16 or over and on a low income. You do not have to be getting any benefits to get the grant.

What you can use the grant for

You could get a grant if you need help:

  • moving into a settled home after being homeless

  • leaving care or remaining out of care

  • leaving prison or caring for someone who's left prison

  • leaving domestic abuse

The grant can pay for things like:

  • clothing, furniture and bedding

  • white goods for your home, such as a fridge or washing machine

  • connection costs for utilities, like gas and electricity

  • costs of moving home

  • costs of getting a new job

  • certain travel costs, such as travelling to a hospital to visit someone

You may be given the things you need directly instead of money to buy them.

You cannot use the grant for rent or a deposit.

How to apply for a grant

Apply for the grant through your local council.

Check where to apply on

Most councils will tell you their decision within 15 days. If it’ll take longer, the council should tell you when you apply.

If your application is refused

You can ask the council to review their decision. You should:

  • write to the council within 20 days of the decision

  • explain why you think their decision was wrong

  • send the letter to the address on your decision letter

The council should let you know the outcome of the review within 15 days.

If you need help getting a review, contact a benefits adviser at Citizens Advice.

Other grants and money help

You could:

If you get certain benefits, you could:

For help with food:

Last updated: 7 May 2024

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England