Skip to main content
Shelter Logo

Help to pay rent if you're a student

If you’re studying full-time, you usually cannot get benefits to pay your rent. There are some exceptions.

If you cannot pay your rent, get money and debt advice. You could get help to pay debts, increase your income and reduce your costs.

Check our guidance on getting money and debt advice.

Universal Credit for students

Full-time students are usually not eligible for Universal Credit. Check the Turn2Us guidance on who counts as a full-time student.

You could get Universal Credit if you’re a student and you're:

  • studying part-time

  • getting certain disability benefits

  • responsible for a child

  • under 21 and doing a non-higher education course such as Highers

  • getting a State Pension

  • leaving your course temporarily because of illness or caring responsibilities

If you live with someone who gets Universal Credit

If you live with a partner who is not a student, they could get Universal Credit.

Your income will be counted as part of their claim. This includes any student grants or loans you get.

Housing Benefit for students

Most people cannot make a new application for Housing Benefit. Housing costs are included in a Universal Credit claim.

If you already get Housing Benefit when you start studying, you could continue getting it. Check the Turn2Us guidance on Housing Benefit for students.

Getting other money help

To check if you’re eligible for any benefits, use the Turn2Us benefits calculator.

For more detailed advice, speak to a benefits advisor at your local Citizens Advice. You can also get advice from the student association at your university or college.

Check the Student Information Scotland guidance on financial help for students.

You could get financial help through charitable grants. Search on the Turn2Us grant search.

Last updated: 6 May 2024

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England