Neighbourhood problems

You can often resolve disputes with neighbours yourself. Find out how to deal with the problem and when you should contact the council or local police for help.

Antisocial behaviour and ASBOs

Dealing with antisocial behaviour and what to do if you’re accused of it.

Boundary disputes with neighbours

How to identify boundaries and resolve disputes including trees, walls and hedges.

Planning and building work

You have rights if construction or building work is affecting your home, and you could get a rent reduction or compensation.

Tenant and residents' associations

Setting up or joining a residents’ association and registering it with the council.

Problems with strays and nuisance animals

What to do if animals cause a nuisance in your area and when to contact the council or police.

Bringing empty homes back into use

Reporting empty properties to the council and getting help or funding to renovate one you own.

Neighbourhood watch groups

Joining or starting a neighbourhood watch group and how they help your local area.

Illegal cannabis factories

Reporting illegal cannabis factories to crimestoppers or the local police.

Last updated: 1 February 2022

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England