Antisocial behaviour in Scotland

This section explains what antisocial behaviour is. What you can do about it if you are having problems in your area. If your neighbours are complaining about you, these pages will also help you to work out where you stand and specific legislation in Scotland regarding antisocial behaviour.

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

What is antisocial behaviour?

This page explains what antisocial behaviour is in the eyes of the law and gives some examples.

Dealing with antisocial behaviour from neighbours or others

Whether you rent or own, there are a variety of things you can do to stop antisocial behaviour problems in your neighbourhood or with your neighbours. Get practical tips on what you can do to try and alleviate the problem.

Private landlords and antisocial behaviour

Most landlords of privately rented properties have to register with the council and take responsibility for antisocial behaviour that occurs in properties that they rent out. Find out more.

Antisocial behaviour orders

If antisocial behaviour is a problem, your local council or registered social landlord might be able to get an antisocial behaviour order to stop it.

What is an ASBO and what happens when you get one

If the council, or a registered social landlord, has applied for an antisocial behaviour order (ASBO) against you, or someone in your household, this page gives you some guidance - What to do, how long it lasts and more.

How to avoid complaints

If you get on with your neighbours they are less likely to complain and are more likely to talk to you about any problems that do come up.

Antisocial behaviour of tenants and eviction

If you rent it is possible that you could be evicted from your house for antisocial behaviour in some circumstances. It also depends on who your landlord is and what kind of tenancy you have.

Other solutions to stop antisocial behaviour

If the council decides that it isn't appropriate to apply for an antisocial behaviour order, there might be other things they can do to help. This section takes a look at some other possible solutions to stop antisocial behaviour.

Antisocial behaviour and children

There are various things that can be done to stop children behaving antisocially. Whether the children are yours or someone else's, this section explains the options.

Last updated: 24 September 2017

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England