Planning and building work

This section looks at how you may be affected if the council, Scottish Government or other authority, or your neighbours or a private company are carrying out building or development work in your area. If you're opposed to the work, you may be able to put a stop to it. In some cases, you may be entitled to compensation. This section applies to both home owners and tenants.

The planning system is currently undergoing some changes, to allow people and communities to become more involved in the planning process. You can find out more at the Scottish Government website.

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

Objecting to building work and development permissions

If your neighbours, the council or any private or public developer apply for planning permission for building work, you have a right to comment or send a planning objection letter. Your opinion will be listened to when granting permission.

Compensation for public developments and building work

Check your options if the council, Scottish Government or other public authority is planning development work near your home. You might be entitled to compensation.

Rent reductions to compensate for construction of developments

If you're a tenant, you might get your rent reduced if the accommodation you're renting has been badly affected by a new construction work or development in your area. This depends on the type of tenancy you have.

Last updated: 31 October 2014

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England