Financial help and benefits for disabled people in Scotland

If you are disabled, you may be entitled to benefits and financial support. This page explains what help is available.

What disability benefits can I claim?

Disability benefits

Disability benefits in Scotland are not means-tested, which means your entitlement isn't affected by how much money you have. Instead, the amount of benefit you receive will depend on how severe your disability is.

Universal Credit

If you are on a low income, you may be able to claim Universal Credit


If you have a carer, they may be able to claim carer's allowance. You can find out more about financial help for carers here.

Social fund

You may also be able to get a community care grant, a budgeting loan or a crisis grants from the social fund to help you set up home.

Getting help with benefits

Working out which benefits you can claim can be complicated - and filling in the forms can be worse! So it's a good idea to get some help from a Citizens Advice Bureau, welfare rights agency or a disability advice service. 

An adviser can help you:

  • find out what you're entitled to

  • fill in the forms

  • sort out any problems with your benefits.

Check if you're entitled to benefits

Use the Turn2us benefit calculator

You’ll need information on your household’s:

  • income and savings

  • outgoings, such as rent

  • existing benefits and pensions

  • council tax bill

Get help managing your money

Services that can help with budgeting, applying for benefits, and debt:

Financial help and support for disabled people

You may be able to get help to pay for housing support and other care costs, including self-directed support (direct payments), so you can arrange and pay for your own care services. The section on paying for support has more information.

In addition, depending on your situation, you may be entitled to additional financial support, such as:

Visit to find out more.

If you need housing advice, contact us for free.

Last updated: 16 February 2018

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England