Housing benefit for your notice period

Housing benefit usually stops the day you move out of your home. If you have to move out immediately, but still have to give your landlord notice that you are leaving, it may be possible to get housing benefit to help pay your rent for up to four weeks after you move out.

If you are moving from one home to another and you will have a period where you have to pay rent for both homes, you will need to claim housing benefit for two homes.

If you have moved to a new home where you do not have to pay rent, but you will still have to pay rent on your old home, you may be able to get housing benefit paid for up to four weeks, so that you can give your landlord notice that you wish to leave.

You will have to show that you could not avoid having to pay rent after you moved out, that is, you could not have known that you would have to move out and therefore couldn't have given notice before you moved out. For example:

  • you were taken into hospital permanently

  • you were given a prison sentence of more than 13 weeks

  • you have gone to stay with relatives because you are frail or elderly and won't be able to return home.

If you need housing advice, contact us for free.

Last updated: 29 December 2014

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England