Other benefits

Depending on your circumstances, you may be entitled to claim one or more of the benefits listed below.

Attendance allowance

You may be eligible for attendance allowance if you need help with day-to-day living because of a physical or mental illness or disability. This is a non-means tested benefit. To be eligible, you:

  • must be over 65

  • can be living alone

  • don't need to have a carer

  • can be working or not working.

Best Start Grant

Depending on what benefits you receive you may also be eligible to apply for the Best Start Grant. The grant offers financial support during the early years of a child's life and is made up of three payments :

  • Pregnancy and baby payment

  • Early learning payment

  • School age payment

Find out more about the Best Start Grant.

Bereavement benefits

If your husband, wife or civil partner died in the last year you may be entitled to:

  • a bereavement payment, and/or

  • bereavement allowance.

If your spouse has died and you are pregnant or responsible for a child, you may be entitled to:

  • a bereavement payment, and/or

  • widowed parent's allowance.

You can find out more about bereavement benefits here.

You might also be able to get help to pay for the funeral of the person who has died. This is called a funeral support payment.

Carer's allowance

This is a benefit to help people who are unable to work because they care for someone who is severely disabled for at least 35 hours per week. You don't have to be related to or live with the disabled person to claim this benefit. It can affect the benefits of the person you are looking after, so you may want to seek advice before you make a claim. You can claim carer's allowance if you are working but there are restrictions on the amount you can earn each week. You can find out more about carer's allowance here.

You are not prevented from claiming carer's allowance if you are disabled yourself and also need care.

Young carer's grant

Young carer grant is a yearly payment for young carers in Scotland.

To get young carer grant, you must be:

  • 16, 17 or 18 years old

  • have been caring for 1, 2 or 3 people for an average of 16 hours a week for at least the last 3 months

  • If you care for more than one person, you can combine the hours of the people you care for to average 16 hours a week.

Find out more about young carer's grant.

Child benefit

Child benefit can be paid to any person who is bringing up children. You get a set amount for each child, and it is not affected by your income or savings. You will only be entitled to other benefits for a child, or an increase in your benefits because you have a child, if you are claiming child benefit for the child. Find out more on the Gov.uk website.

Child Disability Payment

Child Disability Payment provides support for the extra costs that a disabled child might have. The disability can be mental or physical.

Child Disability Payment replaced Disability living allowance (DLA) for children in November 2021.

Adult Disability Payment (replacing PIP and DLA)

Adult Disability Payment can help with the extra costs of living with a disability or health condition. New applicants can apply from March 2022.

It will gradually replace Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for adults in Scotland.

You do not need to apply for Adult Disability Payment if you currently get PIP or DLA.

Employment support allowance (ESA)

Employment support allowance is a benefit paid to people who have limited capability to work, whether by ill health or disability and who are not entitled to Statutory sick pay (SSP). There are two elements to ESA:

  • Income related - means tested

  • Contributions based - not means tested but have to satisfy National Insurance contributions test.

There is a 13-week assessment phase in which time the claimant will be asked to attend a medical assessment. Claimants will normally be paid the basic allowance during this period. The medical will determine if the claimant has limited capability for work and which group they then qualify for:

  • Work-related activity group (WRAG) - this group is for people who are expected to return to work. You may have to attend work focused interviews or work related activities.

  • Support group - you do not have to undertake work related activities although you can be a volunteer. If you're in the support group the benefits cap does not apply to you.

You can download an easy read guide from the Disability Alliance website.

Statutory sick pay (SSP)

If you are off work because you are unwell and your employer does not give you sick pay, you may be entitled to statutory sick pay. SSP is paid to employees by their employer for up to 28 weeks in any period of sickness lasting from 4 days or more.

Support for mortgage interest

If you are having problems paying your mortgage, you may be able to get support for mortgage interest (SMI) to help pay some of the interest, depending on the rate of the interest. YOu can only get this benefit for two years. SMI can also pay for the interest on loans you have taken out for repairs or improvements. You should also be able to claim SMI if:

  • you or someone in your family is disabled, and

  • you receive or are eligible to receive income support, income based employment and support allowance or income based jobseeker's allowance, and

  • you want to buy a home that is more suitable for your needs.

You can find out more about getting a mortgage if you're a disabled person here.

Cold weather, heating discount and fuel payments

Find out about different payments and discounts available to help with winter heating costs.

More information about benefits

To find out more about any of these benefits, visit the A to Z of benefits from Gov.UK.

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

Last updated: 4 February 2020

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England