List of average monthly household bills

Whether you own or rent your home, you will need to pay utility bills and council tax, unless they are included in your rent. This page lists average household monthly bills and explains more about them.

Household utility bills

Unless household bills are included as part of your rent, you will have to pay gas, electricity and telephone bills. These bills are usually sent out every quarter (every three months) but you can usually arrange to pay bills monthly. It may work out cheaper if you pay online or by direct debit.

If you share a flat or house, you will need to split the bills with your house mates. This can cause problems. However, the Pastures New property website has some good ideas of ways to do this amicably. Bear in mind that even if only one person's name is on the gas and/or electricity bills, you are all jointly and individually liable for paying them. This means the supplier can chase up any of you for the money if the bill isn't paid.

To save money on your bills, you may wish to move to another supplier. Websites such as Save on your bills and uSwitch allow you to compare the prices of different companies and switch suppliers online. The Consumer Focus website has more information on changing suppliers.

Council tax

You will also have to pay council tax. You will get a bill once a year, but can arrange to pay it monthly if you prefer. You will get a 25% discount if you live alone, and you don't have to council tax reduction.

If you live with other people, everyone in the home will be jointly and individually liable for paying the council tax. This means that if one person can't or won't pay their share, the other housemates will have to pay it for them, unless they are exempt.

TV Licence

If you have your own television set (or any other device used to receive or record television programmes, such as a video recorder, set-top box or a PC with a broadcast card), you'll need a licence. You will still need your own licence even if you live in a student hall of residence or bedsit. Find out more at the TV licensing website.

Find out more

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

Last updated: 12 October 2017

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England