Paying for care and support

There are many ways that you can receive care and support: living in your own home, in sheltered accommodation or in a care home. This section looks at how to pay for care and support and what help is available.

If you need housing advice, contact us for free.

Allowances for paying for care and support at home in Scotland

To get care at home following an assessment by social work, you may have to pay for some help. How much you pay for care will depend on a decision by social work.

Self-directed support (direct payments)

If you require community care services or children's services in your home, you may be able to get money from the council so that you can arrange and pay for your care services yourself.

Paying for a care home

If you are moving into a care home, find help to pay for the costs of your care home.These include personal care,nursing care and everyday living costs such as food.

Paying for sheltered housing, how much?

Find out what financial help you may be able to get to pay your accommodation costs if you are staying in sheltered housing.

Paying for housing support services

If you are receiving housing support services you will either have to pay for them yourself or, if you have a low income, you may be able to get help to pay for this from your local council.

Last updated: 29 December 2014

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England