Paying for sheltered housing, how much?

If you live in sheltered housing you might be able to get help to pay your accommodation costs.

Help to pay rent and housing costs

If you rent and live in sheltered housing and have a low income, you may be entitled to housing benefit to help pay your rent and housing costs.

Buying sheltered housing

If you are a home owner you may wish to buy sheltered housing, as home owners are usually not given priority on waiting lists to rent sheltered housing from councils or housing associations. You may be able to get help to pay the interest on your mortgaqe. You might find Age Scotland's factsheet on buying residential housing useful.

Service charges in sheltered housing

Whether you buy or rent sheltered housing you'll probably have a service charge to cover the costs of the alarm system, the warden, building repair and maintenance, gardening, etc.

You may be able to get your service charge paid through housing support. This is a benefit to help people pay for support in their home.

If it is not paid for under housing benefit, you may be able to get help from pension credit.

Living in sheltered housing and paying for additional care

If you need additional care such as meals on wheels, or help to wash or get in and out of bed, you may be able to get either care at home or help to pay for your care at home.

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

Last updated: 31 July 2017

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England