Skip to main content
Shelter Logo

Relationship breakdown and domestic abuse

Your rights to stay in your home if your relationship ends are called occupancy rights. If you do not have automatic occupancy rights, you could get them in court.

If you need to leave your home after breaking up, you can ask the council for help, look for private rented housing, and apply for housing from the council or housing associations.

If you need to leave your home because of domestic abuse, there are places you can go and services that can help. You can get legal help to stop an abusive person from coming near you, your children and your home.

Last updated: 17 March 2023

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England