Taking in a lodger or subletting your home

If you have a spare room, you may be considering taking in a lodger or subtenant to help you pay your rent otherwise known as finding a roommate. The UK government has also made available the rent a room scheme which lets you earn up to £7500 a year tax free for renting out your room. Alternatively you may want to rent the whole of the property to someone else and move out. This section explains how to go about this and what the rights of your tenant will be.

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

Subletting if you are a tenant

If you want to take in a lodger or sublet your home, the rules depend on the tenancy agreement you have. Check if you can take in a lodger or sublet.

Letting if you are a home owner

How to take in a lodger or let your home. You need permission from your mortgage lender, and to check if it will affect your tax and/or welfare benefits.

Last updated: 12 January 2018

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England