Letting if you are a home owner

This section explains how to go about taking in a lodger or letting your home if you are a home owner. You'll probably have to get permission from your mortgage lender, and you'll need to check whether it will affect your tax and/or welfare benefits. It's also important to understand the responsibilities of being a landlord.

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

Taking in a lodger if you own your home

A lodger is someone who rents a room in your home and who may share the bathroom, kitchen and/or living room with you.

Letting your home

If you rent out the whole of your home to someone else, this is called letting. The person who pays you rent is a tenant.

Rent and deposits if you let your home

The amount of rent you can ask a lodger or tenant to pay normally depends on what private landlords charge in your area. In addition, you can ask your tenant to pay a deposit.

Responsibilities as a landlord if you rent out your home

If you take in a lodger or rent out your home, you will have responsibilities as the landlord. The rights of your tenant will depend on the type of tenancy they have.

Setting up a tenancy agreement if you let your home

A tenancy agreement is a contract between you and your tenant or lodger, setting out the terms and conditions of their stay in your property.

Last updated: 29 December 2014

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England