Grants and financial help for home adaptations

This page looks at financial help that may be available to get repairs or adaptations carried out to your home if you're older or disabled. It also explains where you can get help and advice.

If you feel you would benefit from getting adaptations carried out in your home, you can find out more about getting adaptations done.

Grants for adaptations

If you need to get adaptations made to your home, you can apply to the council for a grant. Grants are only available in certain circumstances and for certain kinds of work - read the page on help to pay for adaptations to find out more..

Help from social work

If you are disabled, you may also be able to get a grant from the council's social work department. Contact an occupational therapist at your council or check out the council's website to find out more.

Help from the social fund

You may be able to get a community care grant from the social fund if:

  • you are moving out of a care home, hospital or other institution and need to get your home adapted so you can live there independently, or

  • you need to get your home adapted so you can stay there, rather than moving into a care home.

The social fund only has a limited budget for grants. If you can't get a community care grant, you may be eligible for a budgeting loan or a crisis loan.

Help from charities and voluntary organisations

You may be able to get a grant to help you pay for essential adaptations or equipment from a local or national charity. Contact Scotland's National Disability Information Service Update or the Advice Service at Capability Scotland for details of organisations in your area.

Care and repair

Care and repair services offer independent advice and assistance to help people in private housing repair, improve or adapt their homes so that they can live in comfort and safety at home in their own community.

Usually funded by local councils, their services are normally available to owner-occupiers, private tenants and crofters who are aged 60 or over or who have a disability. Contact Care and Repair for details of local

If you need housing advice, contact us for free.

Last updated: 12 April 2017

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England