Reporting a repair to your council or housing association

Your landlord is usually responsible for fixing major repairs to the structure of your home and any appliances they supplied you with. You must report the repair as soon as you notice it.

How to report a repair

Your tenant handbook will tell you how to report repairs and what to do if there’s an emergency after office hours.

You can call, email or write. Your council or housing association might have an app or an online reporting system.

If you report your repair by phone, you should send a letter or email too. This is in case you have to prove that your landlord was aware of the problem.

What to mention in your letter or email

Ask your landlord:

Tell your landlord:

  • how long you think it should take if there’s no timeframe, and ask them to agree to it

  • what effect the disrepair is having on you

  • when you expect them to reply

Use our letter template for reporting a repair to help you know what to say.

Send letters by recorded delivery and add a read receipt to emails.

Keep evidence of repair problems

Take photographs or videos of the repair when you report it so you can check if the problem is getting worse. Keep receipts for anything you have to replace.

Get a note from the doctor if the repair is having an impact on your health.

Your responsibilities

It’s your responsibility to report repair as soon as you notice it. If you do not, you could be responsible for paying for any unnecessary damage caused by the repair.

You must report repairs if you caused the damage. Your landlord is not required to fix this but they could arrange the repairs and then charge you the cost.

Read more about your responsibilities for repairs.

After you report a repair

Your landlord will confirm if it's their responsibility to fix the repair and if you have the right to get it fixed within a set timeframe. This is called the Right to Repair scheme.

Your landlord will arrange any workpeople. This should be at a reasonable time that suits you. You must give your landlord and workpeople access to your home so they can carry out the repair.

You can contact your landlord if you have questions about your repair. Your tenant handbook should explain your council or housing association's process.

If you have problems with repairs

Follow our guidance on what to do if repairs are not done or are done badly .

Last updated: 29 June 2022

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England