What are compulsory purchase orders?

You might find the Scottish Government's compulsory purchase and compensation guide useful - it's for owners, tenants and occupiers.

In some situations, the council, the Scottish Government or a utility company may need to buy your home from you, in order to build a road, for example, or a public building such as a school, or because the property you live in is dangerous and needs to be demolished. In order to do this, they must get a compulsory purchase order (CPO). This section explains what CPOs are and how they work, and what you can do if your home is subject to a CPO.

Although CPOs can be used by a variety of different agencies, this section uses the example of the council. However, all public authorities must go through a similar procedure.

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

What is a compulsory purchase order?

This page explains what compulsory purchase orders (CPOs) are and how they work, and where you can get help and advice if your home is subject to a CPO.

Objecting to a compulsory purchase order (CPO)

How you'll know if the council is applying for a compulsory purchase order, what powers they have and how to object. The council may try to arrange to buy your house voluntarily, to avoid the CPO process.

Public inquiries for compulsory purchase orders

If anyone objects to the council's plans to buy land using a compulsory purchase order (CPO), a public inquiry must be held. This page explains what happens at a public inquiry.

Compensation after a Cpo Has Been Confirmed

Find out what happens after a compulsory purchase order has been confirmed. Check what you can do to challenge the CPO, and what the council has to do to take over ownership of your home.

Compulsory purchase order compensation - How much?

This page looks at the compensation you should get for your home if the council, the Scottish Government or another authority buys it from you using a compulsory purchase order (CPO).

Planning Blight and Blight notices

If the council or another public authority plans a development that affects your home (Known as planning blight), it might be hard to sell at a reasonable price. You may be able to force them to buy it by serving a blight notice.

Home loss and and disturbance payments

If you're forced to move out of your home, for example, because the council has bought it to demolish it, you could apply for a home loss payment to compensate you for the move.

Disturbance Compensation

If you are forced to leave your home, for example because it is due to be demolished, you may be entitled to a form of compensation called a disturbance payment, to cover removal costs.

Well maintained payments

If you're forced to move out of your home because it's 'substandard', you may be entitled to a well maintained payment for keeping your home in good repair.

Last updated: 29 August 2018

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England