Grants to help to pay for repairs, improvements and adaptations

If you need to carry out repair, improvement or adaptation work to your home, you may be able to get some help from the council. This could be practical help or advice, or financial help. If you own your home or rent privately, you may be eligible for a grant or loan. If you are elderly or disabled, you may also be able to get help from care and repair, or social work. If your home is of significant historic interest, you may be able to get a grant from Historic Scotland.

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

Scheme of assistance

If you're carrying out repairs, improvements or adaptations to your home, ask your local council about their 'scheme of assistance'.

Help to pay for adaptations

If you or someone else in your household is disabled, you may need to adapt your home to make day-to-day living easier. It may be possible to get a grant from the council to help with the cost of the work. This grant scheme was introduced in April 2009.

Disability Grants and Financial Help for Older or Disabled People to Do Repairs and Adaptations

This page looks at financial help that may be available to get repairs or adaptations carried out to your home if you're older or disabled. It also explains where you can get help and advice.

Care and repair in Scotland

If you are older or disabled and need home repairs, improvements or adaptations, ask about help from a Care and Repair service. Find out what this service does and who is eligible for help.

Grants for repairs to historic buildings

If you are a home owner or hold a full repairing lease, and your property is of particular historic interest, you may be able to get a grant from Historic Scotland to carry out essential repairs.

Last updated: 4 April 2017

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England