Grants for repairs to historic buildings

If you are a home owner or hold a full repairing lease, and your property is of particular historic interest, you may be able to get a grant from Historic Scotland to carry out essential repairs. In return, you will need to insure and maintain the property, and allow some access for visitors.

Who can apply for a repair grant?

You may be able to get a grant from Historic Scotland to help with repairs if:

  • you own your home or hold a full repairing lease of at least 21 years, and

  • your home is considered to be of outstanding historic or architectural interest, or

  • you live in an outstanding conservation area, and

  • your home is at serious risk from neglect or disrepair, and

  • you can't afford to pay for the repairs yourself.

You can find out if your home is a listed building at the Historic Scotland website.

You won't be able to get a grant for:

  • routine repairs and maintenance

  • installation of services (for example, central heating)

  • alterations or demolitions.

What's the catch?

In return, you'll need to:

  • insure the home

  • keep the home in good condition after the repairs have been carried out

  • allow some access for visitors.

When can I apply?

Although applications are accepted at any time during the year, they are considered in three competitive batches, with closing dates at the end of January, May and September. You'll find out if your application has been successful within two months of the closing date.

What are my chances of getting a grant?

Historic Scotland only has a limited amount of money to give out in grants, so even if your home does qualify, your application may not be successful. You'll have more chance of getting a grant if the repair project will benefit the local community, or promote the development of particular craft skills and knowledge.

How do I find out more?

Visit the Historic Scotland website to get more information and download an application pack or contact the Historic Environment Grants Team on 0131 668 8801.

Are there any other sources of funding?

Visit the Funds for Historic Buidings website for more information about funding for repairs to historic buildings. Many of these are only available to not-for-profit organisations or community projects, but some will accept applications from individuals.

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

Last updated: 12 April 2017

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England