Letter template: tell your social landlord that someone is moving in

Use this letter template to tell the council or housing association you rent from that someone is moving in with you.

Telling your landlord in writing can help you prove the new resident's right to become a joint tenant or take over the tenancy in future.

You're allowed to move someone in with you as long as this does not make your home overcrowded.

Copy and paste this sample text and personalise it with your details. Keep a copy of the letter and proof of delivery, or keep the email you send.

Subject: Notice of new resident at <your address>

To <council or housing association>

I’m writing to tell you that <new resident’s name> will start living with me at <your address> on <date>.

I have the new resident’s consent to provide you with their contact information which is <new occupant’s phone number or email address>.

This person is moving in because: <delete what does not apply to you>

- they’re my partner
- they’re my relative
- they’re my carer
- <other reason>

Please confirm you have received this, and that this information has been added to my housing file. If you require me to fill out a form please send this to me.

Thank you,

<your first and last name>
<contact number>

You can also send the letter as an email attachment or through the post:

Where to send your letter or email

Check your tenancy agreement or find the council or housing association's contact details on their website.

If you need more help

We have guidance on your rights if you have a Scottish secure tenancy.

Last updated: 21 March 2023

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England