Skip to main content

Search our website:

Search our website by keyword

You are searching the housing advice section of our website. You can also search the whole site.

Found 37 results for "relationship breakdown"

  • Joint tenancy rights if you rent your home

    If you separate from your partner, your right to remain in or return to your rented home or to make your partner leave depend on various factors.

  • Using the court to resolve disputes

    How the court can help resolve your housing issues. Court orders are not granted automatically, and the sheriff will need to look at both your situations before making a decision.

  • Occupancy rights if you or your partner own your home

    This page explains your rights when you split up from your wife, husband or partner and one of you owns the property.

  • Application for transfer of tenancy

    If your partner moves out, you might get the tenancy put into your name. How this works and what if your partner doesn't agree to this.

  • Agreements when living together

    Moving in with a partner is a big step. This page looks at things you need to think about. It's important to know what your housing rights are so you're prepared.

  • The Scottish Government's Mortgage to rent scheme

    If you are at risk of repossession, a mortgage to rent scheme could allow you to remain in your home as a tenant. This page explains how mortgage to rent schemes work and who is eligible to apply.

  • About shared ownership

    Shared ownership is a cross between renting and buying. This page explains how shared ownership schemes work, who is eligible to apply and how you can make an application.

  • Staying in the family home in the long term

    Your options if you and your ex-partner decide not to sell the family home and need to decide who will stay.

  • Rights if you or your partner own your home

    What to do if you and/or your partner own your home and your relationship breaks down. Who has rights to stay in the home, selling the home and who is responsible for the mortgage.

  • Help with housing costs

    If your partner moves out, you may need help to cope with paying the bills, household expenses and rent or mortgage on your own.

Was this page helpful?

This feedback tool can't offer advice. If you still need help, please call our free housing helpline on 0808 800 4444

Would you recommend Shelter Scotland's website to a friend, colleague or family member?
(0 - not at all likely, 10 - extremely likely)

Your feedback is being submitted

Success! Thank you for your feedback.

If you'd like to hear more about our work at Shelter Scotland, you can sign up to receive updates on our campaigns page.

Sorry, there was a problem sending your feedback to us. Please try again or contact us via the website if this error persists.