How to complain about your private landlord

Write to your landlord to make a complaint about them. If you’re not happy with their response contact the council or your landlord’s accreditation scheme.

Step 1: contact your landlord informally

Before formally complaining, talk to your landlord if you can. Your issue could be fixed if you ask them to put the problem right.

Step 2: write to your landlord

We have guidance and template letters if you’re complaining about repairs or complaining about deposits.

For other issues, write a letter:

  • explaining what the problem is and how you want it to be fixed

  • asking them to confirm a timeframe to solve the problem

  • telling them that you’ll take further action if your problem is not fixed

Your landlord’s address should be in your tenancy agreement and on the Scottish Landlord Register. If it’s not, contact the council to get it.

It’s against the law to be an unregistered landlord and they could be fined. Find out what to do if your landlord is not registered.

Step 3: if you’re unhappy with your landlord’s response

Write to the council to explain the issue and how you’ve tried to solve it with your landlord. Send a copy to your landlord.

The council can order your landlord to put any issues right.

If your landlord is part of Landlord Accreditation Scotland, follow their complaints process.

If you're worried about being evicted

It’s illegal for your landlord to evict you for complaining. However, if you have a short assured tenancy your landlord can evict you at the end of your fixed term without needing a reason.

Call the police on 101 if your landlord is harassing you or trying to force you out.

Last updated: 24 January 2020

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England