Skip to main content
Shelter Logo

How to deal with harassment by a neighbour

Harassment is someone doing something to you that causes you alarm or distress. It can be:

  • verbal

  • physical

  • unwanted texts or phone calls

  • bullying, intimidation or threats

  • vandalism of your property

If you're being harassed by a neighbour, there are steps you can take to stop it.

If you need to talk to someone about how you're feeling, get support from Samaritans.

If your private landlord is harassing you, check our guidance on dealing with landlord harassment

Gather evidence

Keep a diary of when you are being harassed and what the person did. Keep any notes or texts you get from the person. Evidence will help if you go to the police or the council.

Talk to the person

Speak to them if you feel able to. Explain how their behaviour makes you feel. Ask a trusted family member or friend to be with you for support.

Only do this if you feel safe doing so. Never put yourself in danger by confronting someone who is harassing you.

Speak to the council

If you're being harassed by a neighbour or someone who does not live with you, contact your local council. They can help you deal with antisocial behaviour.

Report it to the police

Harassment is a crime. If you feel able to, contact the police.

Dial 999 if you are in danger. Otherwise call 101 and report it to your local station.

If you need advice or support before speaking to the police, contact Victim Support Scotland.

Get a non-harassment order or interdict from the court

These are court orders that stop a person from behaving in a certain way, and can be used to stop someone from harassing you.

They are an option when either:

  • you do not want to involve the police

  • the police cannot charge the person with a crime

A solicitor can help you go to court. Use the Law Society of Scotland website to find a solicitor. You could get legal help for free or at a lower cost.

Leaving your home to escape harassment

If you decide to move out to escape harassment, check our advice on finding a new place to live.

If you're unsafe in your home and you have nowhere to go, the council must help you. You do not have to be living on the streets to be homeless. Check our advice on making a homeless application.

Last updated: 14 April 2023

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England