Alternatives to court action

Depending on the circumstances, it might not be appropriate to take your case to court. However, that doesn't mean that your problem will go away and you might still need a helping hand to sort it out. This section explains some of the options.

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

Land tribunal and land court

Depending on your case, you may be able to take it to a tribunal. What is a tribunal and the difference between the Land Tribunal for Scotland and the Scottish Land Court.

Alternative dispute resolution

Alternative dispute resolution is a way of sorting out your problem informally, out of court. There are several forms of ADR in use in Scotland and this section looks at the main ones.


If you need some extra support, you could think about going to see a trained counsellor. This page explains what counselling is and how it can help you.

Last updated: 16 February 2018

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England