Eviction if you have an assured tenancy

If you rent from a private landlord and have an assured tenancy, you can only be evicted if your landlord follows the correct procedures. Find out when landlords have the right to evict assured tenants and the eviction procedures for assured tenancies.

The eviction process for assured tenants

In most cases, your landlord will need to follow certain steps in order to evict you. The process is as follows:

  • you will be served with a notice to quit

  • you will be served with a notice of proceedings

  • your landlord also has to serve a Section 11 notice to your local council

  • your landlord has to apply to the First-tier Tribunal for Scotland Housing and Property Chamber

  • you will be sent a notice of 'acceptance of application' telling you when your case will be heard

  • your case will be heard at the tribunal

  • If the tribunal grants an order and you have not yet left the property, sheriff officers will send a notice warning that they will remove you


  • If your landlord doesn't follow the correct procedure for evicting you, the eviction will be illegal and you may be able to stay in your home or get compensation. Find out more about illegal eviction

  • In a few cases, a landlord might be able to skip serving you a notice to quit

What is a notice to quit?

A notice to quit is a written document notifying you that your landlord wants to end your tenancy. You do not have to leave your home if you have received a notice to quit. Your landlord will have to get an order from the tribunal before you may have to leave. For a notice to quit to be valid it must:

  • be in writing

  • state the length of notice you have been given

  • the notice to quit has to tie in with the ish date (the date when your tenancy agreement terminates)

  • state that once the notice has run out, the landlord still has to get an order from the tribunal before you have to leave

  • notify you that you can seek independent advice about the notice and tell you where you may be able to get advice from

The length of notice you have to be given depends on how long your tenancy is for:

  • if your tenancy lasts for more than four months, the minimum notice period is 40 days

  • if your tenancy lasts for four months or less, the notice period should be at least one-third of the length of the tenancy and no less than 28 days

What to do if you get a notice to quit

If you receive a notice to quit, talk to your landlord. They may issue a notice to quit at any time and may not intend to end the tenancy in the near future. For example, they may be issuing you with a notice to quit because they want to change the terms of your tenancy agreement. In addition, issuing a notice to quit in advance saves time if they do want to end the tenancy in the future.

Does my landlord have to serve me a notice to quit?

To evict you, your landlord needs to serve you with a notice to quit in most cases. However, there can be times when a landlord can skip this. Examples include:

  • If they have served a notice to quit in the past for a different reason, like raising your rent, this notice still applies

  • if the grounds for eviction they are using are any of grounds 2, 8, 11–14 and 16. This depends on what is written in your agreement

Notice of proceedings (AT6)

If your landlord wants to evict you, they must also send you a notice of proceedings in addition to the notice to quit. This can be sent at the same time as the notice to quit, or at a later date.

A notice of proceedings is a document telling you that your landlord wants to start legal proceedings to get their property back. It should be on a special form called an AT6. See what an AT6 should look like on the Scottish Government's website.

For a notice of proceedings to be valid it must state:

  • the reasons or grounds why the landlord wants their property back

  • information about these reasons and how they apply to you

There are 17 different grounds that a landlord can use to try to have you evicted. If your case goes to tribunal, they use these grounds to decide if you should be evicted.

How much notice should I get?

Notice periods depend on the grounds for eviction

The amount of notice on your notice of proceedings depends on the grounds for eviction being used. Find out the notice period for each ground. You don’t have to leave when your notice period ends, it’s still your tenancy until the tribunal orders an eviction.

If your landlord does not ask for a tribunal date within six months, they will have to send you a new notice. This means the eviction process begins again, giving you more time before a tribunal date can be arranged.

After your notice period ends

Before you can be evicted, your case has to be heard by the tribunal.

If your landlord’s application for an eviction hearing is accepted, then the tribunal will send you a notice of ‘acceptance of application’. This informs you of the details of the application and the date by which you can submit your written position to the tribunal, normally 14 days after receiving the notice.

You will then get a second notice telling you when the hearing will take place, normally between 14 and 28 days after receiving the second notice.

If you receive a notice of acceptance of application or any paperwork from the tribunal you should seek advice on whether you can defend the action. Speak to one of our advisers or contact a solicitor.

Last updated: 29 March 2022

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England

Get homeless help from the council

The council must help if you are homeless or likely to become homeless in the next two months.

Get emergency help from the council