Families and households

This section looks at the housing issues that can arise when you live with other people, such as family members, your husband, wife or civil partner, an opposite sex or same sex partner, flatmates or housemates. It explains your rights if you share rented accommodation or move in with your partner, and also your position if your relationship breaks down or you are experiencing domestic abuse. Your rights will vary depending on the legal status of your relationship and whether you own or rent your home.

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

Sharing rented accommodation

When you share rented accommodation, your rights depend on if you have joint or separate tenancies and who your landlord is (for example, the council or a private landlord).

Living Together - Common Law Rights

If you live with a partner your cohabitation rights depend on if you rent or own your home and if you are married or in a civil partnership. There's no common law marriage in Scotland.

Living with your parents

It's natural that you won't always see eye to eye with your parents. If you're having problems living at home, check what your options are and how you might improve relationships to let you stay.

Housing rights while pregnant

Having children is one of life's biggest changes. This section explains how your legal rights in relation to housing are affected by pregnancy.

Relationship breakdown advice

This section gives advice to help you solve possible housing issues if you are separating from your husband, wife or partner. Your rights depend on several factors so see what your situation means you should do.

Domestic violence and abuse help

How to tackle housing issues around domestic violence and abuse: finding somewhere to live, what to do if you're homeless due to domestic abuse and how to exclude the abusive partner from your home.

Couples or families counselling and mediation

This page has information on getting couples or family counselling and mediation to help work through your problems.

Caring for someone at home

For carers who look after a relative, partner or friend. This section looks at how to get help from social work and other organisations, including financial support.

Death in the household

This section looks at your housing rights if a member of your household dies. Your rights depend on if you rent or own your home, and what arrangements the person made before they died.

Last updated: 9 August 2016

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England