Homeless support services

The following organisations offer help, advice or support for homeless people in Edinburgh, Glasgow and most other parts of Scotland.

Get homeless help from the council

If you have nowhere safe to stay, make a homeless application to the council. You should be given accommodation on the day you need it.

They must help if you are homeless or likely to become homeless in the next two months.

Apply to the council as homeless

Cheap internet access is offered by some public libraries and internet cafes if you want to send and receive emails.

Use the Scottish Library and Information Resources website to find a library with public access internet near you.

Advice and support

Aberdeen Cyrenians

Providing homelessness services and advice in the Aberdeen area.


Bethany Christian Trust

Providing accommodation, support and street work in the Edinburgh area.


Edinburgh Cyrenians

Providing homelessness services and advice in the Edinburgh area.


Edinburgh Street Support Network

Connecting people and organisations locally, to tackle homelessness in Edinburgh


Four Square/Edinburgh Furniture Initiative

Four Square (Scotland) is a charity involved with the rights and needs of homeless people in Edinburgh and the Lothians and other areas of Scotland. Services include advice and advocacy, support and accommodation, and clothing and furniture supplies.


The Foyer Federation

Information on foyer accommodation for young people across the UK.


Glasgow Simon Community

Providing homelessness services and advice in the Glasgow area.



Refuge offers safe houses for women and children escaping domestic violence and abuse. Some refuges are specifically for women from particular ethnic or cultural backgrounds. The website offers advice and information on your options if you're facing domestic abuse.

Together with Women's Aid, Refuge also runs the freephone 24-hour National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247.


Salvation Army

Providing homelessness services including accommodation and soup runs across Scotland.


Scottish Refugee Council

Advice for asylum seekers and refugees, including a list of day centres, soup runs and drop-in centres.



Edinburgh based outreach team working with young people. Offers crisis support and advice and help with health issues and education, training and employment opportunities.


Scottish Women's Aid

Women's Aid groups offer support, information and a safe place to stay to women suffering from domestic abuse. The website contains contact details for your nearest women's aid group, as well as advice and information.


Shelter Scotland

Shelter Scotland give people struggling with bad housing or homelessness the help they need, through our advice, support and legal services

Contact a Shelter Scotland adviser

YMCA Scotland

Supporting young people under 25 across a range of issues, including housing.


Other services


Free, confidential 24-hour helpline offering comfort, advice and practical help to all children and young people.

Tel: 0800 1111


Cruse Bereavement Care

Bereavement can often lead to homelessness: Cruse offers advice, practical help and sympathetic ear to anyone affected by death.


Family Planning Association

Advice and emergency help on contraception, pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections.

Find your nearest clinic or call the FPA helpline for confidential advice.

Helpline: 0845 122 8690


Get Connected

Get Connected is a free helpline and email service for young people. Whatever your problem, whether it's to do with your family, your health, school, housing or anything else, the counsellors can put you in touch with an agency who can help you.

Tel: 0808 808 4994

Email: help@getconnected.org.uk.


Missing People

Missing people have a free, confidential 24-hour helpline on 116 000

Email: 116000@missingpeople.org.uk

The advisers can pass on a message to your family or carers without telling them where you are, talk through your options and help you decide what to do next and put you in touch with local advice agencies who can help you.


Rape Crisis

Advice and help for women who have undergone sexual abuse. Contact details for local centres are provided.


Royal British Legion

The Royal British Legion provides financial, social and emotional support to all those who have served and are currently serving in the armed forces, and their dependants.



If you are going through a hard time or feel depressed, desperate or suicidal and need someone to talk to anonymously, you can call the Samaritans free and in confidence.

Tel: 116 123

Email: jo@samaritans.org



SANE is a UK charity dedicated to improving the lives of everyone affected by mental illness. If you are worried about depression or any other mental health issue.

You can call Saneline on 0845 767 8000 for practical information and support

The website also contains information on depression, addictions, schizophrenia, phobias and other mental illnesses.


Scottish Drug Services

Online directory to help people find information on all drug treatment and rehabilitation and care services in Scotland.


Survivors UK

Advice and help for men who have suffered from sexual abuse or rape.

Helpline: 0845 122 1201



Straightforward information on the effects and risks of drug taking, including a comprehensive A-Z of drugs and a searchable database of services that can help you.

You can also call Frank on the free 24-hour helpline 0800 77 66 00


Victim Support Scotland

Practical help and emotional support for victims of crime.

Visit the website or call their helpline on 0845 603 9213


If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

Last updated: 2 March 2021

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England