Skip to main content
Shelter Logo

Applying for a mid-market rent

You could get a mid-market rent if you need an affordable home but you do not have priority for social housing. You’ll usually have to be in work and meet certain income criteria.

With a mid-market rent, you'll get a private residential tenancy. This gives you different rights than a social tenancy, but you still have strong rights.

Where to find mid-market rents

Mid-market rented homes are usually provided by housing associations and councils. They're sometimes advertised on websites like Rightmove.

Search online for mid-market rent in your area, or contact the council’s housing department and ask them for a list of mid-market rent providers. Find your council's website on

Check if you can get a mid-market rent

You usually need to be in work, and your income must be within a certain range. Each housing provider has its own income requirement, so check their website or contact them directly.

If you’ll be living with a partner or other adults, their income counts too. If you get any benefits or pensions, these should usually also count towards your income.

There are sometimes other criteria used to decide who gets priority for mid-market rented homes. For example, you could get priority if:

  • you already rent from the housing association

  • you rent privately and you cannot afford your rent

  • your current home is overcrowded

  • your current home is unsuitable – for example, if it's causing you health problems or you need disability adaptations

How to apply for a mid-market rent

You’ll have to fill in an application form with details about yourself and anyone who will be living with you. Ask the housing association for an application form if you cannot find it on their website.

You’ll usually also be asked for:

  • a copy of your passport, driving licence or other ID

  • proof of your income, such as payslips or bank statements

  • proof of your current address, such as utility bills

  • references from current or previous landlords

You can also include details of any circumstances that affect your housing needs or finances. For example, if you have caring responsibilities or access requirements that mean you need a certain type of home.

If you get offered a home

You’ll have a private residential tenancy. This is an open-ended tenancy, which means there's no end date. You can only be evicted for specific reasons, such as rent arrears or antisocial behaviour.

Check our guidance on your rights in a private residential tenancy.

You’ll usually need to pay a tenancy deposit of 1 or 2 months’ rent. This must be protected in a deposit scheme.

Check your other housing options

You can apply for social homes no matter how much income you have. The waiting time depends on where you’re applying and your housing needs.

You could also look for a private rented home. You’ll usually pay a higher rent, but you might be able to find a home more quickly.

Last updated: 19 January 2023

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England

Scotland needs more social housing

Demand action now