Help to pay energy bills

If you cannot afford your gas and electric bills, check if you can get a grant or discount, and contact your supplier to see if they have support available. You can also get free money advice to help you manage your costs and deal with debts.

Check you’re getting the right benefits

Claiming benefits can give you access to schemes, grants and discounts to help with bills. Even if you’re in work, you could be entitled to claim.

To check what you could get, use the Turn2Us benefits calculator. You can also contact Citizens Advice for a benefits check.

Warm Home Discount Scheme

You could get £140 off your energy bills if your supplier is part of the scheme and either:

  • you or your partner gets the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit

  • you’re on a low income and get certain means-tested benefits

The scheme opens in November. If you’re on a low income, contact your energy supplier as soon as possible, as there are a limited number of discounts. They’ll tell you if you can get the discount.

If you get the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit, you should get a letter telling you how to apply.

Check if you can get Warm Home Discount on GOV.UK.

Winter Heating Payment

If you get certain benefits, you could get an extra payment to help pay for heating. This is replacing Cold Weather Payment for people in Scotland.

The payment is £50 each year, starting from February 2023. If you’re eligible, you'll usually get the payment automatically.

Check if you can get Winter Heating Payment on

Child Winter Heating Assistance

If you have a child who gets certain disability-related benefits, you could get an extra payment to help pay for heating.

If you're eligible, this is usually paid automatically.

Check if you can get Child Winter Heating Assistance on

Winter Fuel Payment

If you were born on or before 25 September 1956, you could get extra help to pay heating bills.

The payment is between £250 and £600 depending on your circumstances. If you're eligible, it will usually be paid into your bank account automatically.

If you do not receive the payment, you can contact the Winter Fuel Payment Centre.

Check if you can get a Winter Fuel Payment on GOV.UK.

Get help from the council

You can apply for Discretionary Housing Payment to help with energy costs. The council decides if you’re eligible based on your circumstances.

If you need money in an emergency, you could apply for a crisis grant .

There might be other local schemes to help with bills in your area. Find your council's details on and ask them what help you could get.

If you’re on a prepayment meter

If you cannot afford to top up your prepayment meter, you could:

  • ask your energy supplier for temporary credit

  • ask the council for a fuel voucher

Find your council’s details on

If you pay your energy bills to your landlord

Your tenancy agreement should say who is responsible for the bills.

If your bills are included in the rent

Your landlord can choose how much to charge in total. If they want to increase the rent to cover increased energy costs, they must follow the right process, and you can challenge it.

Check our guidance on rent increases.

If you pay bills to your landlord separately from your rent

Your landlord can only charge you for the gas and electricity you’ve used. They cannot sell the energy to you at a higher price than the supplier charges.

If you think you’re being overcharged, ask your landlord to show you how your bill is calculated. Contact Citizens Advice if you’re having problems with your bills.

Find other grants and advice

A grant is usually a one-off payment. You do not have to pay the money back.

Use the Turn2Us grant search to find charitable grants in your area.

Contact your supplier

Most energy suppliers have grants and hardship funds that can help with bills. You could get extra support if you or someone you live with is vulnerable.

Contact your supplier and explain all your circumstances. For example, tell them if:

  • you’re disabled or have health problems, including mental health

  • you’re pregnant or have young children

  • you’re pension age

Get money and debt advice

For help finding grants and support with managing your money, contact a money and debt adviser.

For some grant funds, you’ll need to show you’ve spoken to an adviser before you can apply.

Get help to keep your home warm

Contact Home Energy Scotland for advice on keeping your home warm and reducing your bills.

You could get a grant or loan to make your home more energy efficient. Use the Home Energy Scotland funding finder to see what's available in your area.

Last updated: 13 October 2022

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England