Benefits, Grants and Support for Care Leavers

As a care leaver, you are entitled to certain support, grants and benefits. These will depend on your age and circumstances.

Care Leaver's Grant

Certain organisations such as the Care Leavers Foundation, exist to make grants to care leavers up to the age of 29. This is primarily for care leavers who have no other support or other sources of funding. More can be found out more here.

Support for 16 and 17 year olds

The council's social work department must support you financially if you:

  • are under 18, and

  • have been in care for a total of at least 13 weeks from the age of 14, and

  • have been looked after at some time while you were 16 or 17.

Social work will be responsible for the cost of your accommodation, food and utility bills, pocket money, clothing and transport costs for education and training. They will take into account any earnings and savings you have when deciding how much money to give you.

Benefits for 16 and 17 year olds

You won't be able to claim benefits unless:

  • you can't work because you're ill or disabled, or

  • you are a lone parent.

Find out more about benefits for young people.

I'm 16 to 17 and moving back home

If you are leaving care to return to your family home, you will only be entitled to financial support  and benefits in certain circumstances. Contact your social work department to find out whether you qualify, or get advice from a Citizens Advice Bureau or local youth advice agency.  

The council must make sure that you don't miss out on financial support from social work and support from benefits and end up with no money at all. If you are in this situation, talk to your pathway co-ordinator and get advice from a Citizens Advice Bureau or other youth advice agency.

Support for 18 to 21 year olds

Once you turn 18 social work will no longer be responsible for supporting you financially. Instead, you will be able to claim benefits.

However, you can still ask the social work department for financial help if necessary. They can offer you help in the form of services (for example, advice and support) or money (for example, they may give you money to pay for a rent deposit, or to pay for a shortfall in your rent after housing benefit).

If you are a student or trainee, you can ask the council for a grant to help pay any expenses connected to your course or training. You can also ask for a grant to help pay for your accommodation or living expenses. The council may continue to help you pay these expenses until your course is finished, even if you are then over 21.

If you have a job or are looking for work, you can ask for a grant to help pay for your accommodation or living expenses near your place of work.

In some of these circumstances, it will be up to the social work department to decide whether or not to offer you financial help. Social work is unlikely to subsidise your income if you continually fail to budget well or spend your money on 'luxury' items such as cigarettes, drink, or drugs.

Benefits for 18 to 21 year olds

Once you are 18, you will be entitled to claim benefits, although the amount you receive (if any) will depend on your living, working and educational circumstances:

Care leavers aged 18 to 25 who were in care at some time after their 16th birthday are exempt from the housing cost restrictions which apply to people who are under 35-year-olds. See the page on housing costs if you're under 35 for more information.

Other benefits

Getting help and advice

If you're not sure what benefits and support you should be getting, get advice from a housing aid centre, Citizens Advice Bureau or local youth advice agency. Use the Young Scot website to find an agency near you.

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

Last updated: 19 February 2018

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England