Council tax reductions for disabled people

If you have a disability and your home is specially designed or adapted to meet your needs, or you need to have an extra room, you may be able to get a discount on your council tax bill.

Council tax bill reductions for people with a disability

To qualify for a reduction, there must be a person who is disabled living in your house as their only or main home. The person could be an adult or a child and their disability must be substantial and permanent. Their disability may be physical and/or mental.

If their disability is physical there must be a special feature in your home which makes it possible or easier for the person to live there. For example:

  • there may be a stairlift, ramped access, or a specially adapted bathroom

  • there may be an extra room in your house that is used either for the person who is disabled to sleep in, or for them to keep or use equipment in, such as a Braille machine or a dialysis machine.

You must be able to show that if your home did not have the special feature or extra room, it would be difficult for the disabled person to live there, or it could make their condition worse.

A reduction may be possible if the person with the disability is:

  • living on their own but receiving care from a carer or 

  • being cared for by a family member who lives with them.

You can get more details from the Scottish Government's Council tax guide for people with special needs and their carers.

Applying for a council tax bill reduction

If you meet the criteria, you can apply to have your council tax bill reduced by sending a letter to your council tax department. You may be asked to provide a letter of support from a health professional such as a doctor or a nurse.

You can only apply for a year at a time and you have to re-apply every year.

If you meet all the criteria, your council tax bill will be reduced, as your property will be placed on a lower valuation banding than it is currently on. For example, if your home is in Band D, the bill you receive will be based on Band C.

If you need housing advice, contact us for free.

Last updated: 24 January 2020

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England